Monday, July 16, 2012

I'm writing....

so you know that I made it through the week at CrossFit!! Actually, it's not as scary as I thought it would be and I am really enjoying it. I think I was more intimidated at first than anything but there is no reason to be. I am in the Elements (beginner) class now learning all the mechanics of how to do the work outs so I'm sure it will get harder....no doubt...but I'm up for the challenge! This is my last week in the Elements class and then I will be promoted to go play with the big boys and girls in the regular class! Woohoo!! 

I also wanted to share with you... A Paleo Dish for the week!!
It's straight out of our Paleo Cook Book, Well Fed. Check out the blog for more information and more delish recipes.  Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat!

Citrus Carnitas

INGREDIENTS:

3-4 lbs pork shoulder
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
water

DIRECTIONS:

Cut the pork shoulder into large chunks and place in a large zipper storage bag.

In a small bowl combine all the above spices and mix with a fork. Add the spice blend to the bag with pork and shake until all peices of meat are coated with the spices.

Next, place pork in a large, deep pot. Pour the lime and lemon juice in the pot and then add water to just cover the meat.

Then place the pot on high heat and bring the water to a boil. When the water is really boiling, reduce the heat to keep a steady, strong simmer with the pan uncovered. The liqid will bubble a fair amount, but should not be vigorous. Let it continue for 2 hours.

At the 2 hour mark check the pot and the water will be alot lower. Allow the water to cook out of the pan and this will carmelize in the pork fat and fruit juices and will make it oh so tender!

Carefully turn the chunks of meat without shredding them to brown on all sides and then remove the chunks to a plate.

Make into a lettuce wrap or just eat it on it's own with your choice of sides....veggie sides that is! ;-) It is AH-MAZ-ING!!

Even though, it takes a couple hours to cook it is so easy to do and you probably already have most the ingredients in your cabinet. Also, I haven't tried this in a crock pot but I'm pretty sure you could easily do it in one.

Matt and I go through the cookbook every Sunday and plan our meals for the week. So far, we haven't been disappointed in any of the recipes...they are all AMAZE!!!!

One other quick recipe that I came up with yesterday afternoon for lunch that I must share is:

 Canned tuna in water, avocado, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, dash of sea salt, and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Mix everything together and serve in a lettuce wrap! It was so delish that Matt was still talking about it a couple hours later! haha! Quick, easy, and healthy...can't beat that!

Enjoy!!

Hope you all had a relaxing weekend and are off to a productive week ahead of you!!

Well, I better get in the kitchen and get started on tonight's menu: Pad Thai with Ginger Lime Shrimp! My mouth is already watering....is yours? I'll let you know how it turns out!

Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment